Embedding English AND maths effectively in lesson plans: Tips for teachers
- Identify naturally occurring opportunities to embed English – don’t fake it!
- On your plans, note down the one or two aspects of English you are actively developing in that lesson/module – don’t overload it.
- Pick out the 5 most useful key words for a lesson and clarify them (match up the words with definitions; dictionary definitions race; gap fill exercise)
- Get learners to practise the S.U.M aspects of the words during the lesson and in revision slots – S for spelling and how you say it; U for using it in a sentence; M for what it means in a definition
- Identify whether reading and writing skills form a key focus in the lesson and which ones are being developed – focus on those specific skills.
- Think about how to prepare learners for reading (a few prompt questions, some visuals, a predication…
View original post 115 more words